Terrific, moist orange cake that’s bursting with orange flavour. This delicious orange cake can be served for breakfast, as a dessert, or as a simple afternoon/bedtime snack with a cup of tea. It is also perfect for any occasion and is for sure a crowd-pleasing dessert. The cake is even better served the next day. Bring it to your next potluck and thank me later 🙂
Also, try this
Fluffy Moist Banana Bread if you have some sitting in your fridge or freezer.
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large oranges sweet, seedless
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Glaze
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large orange juiced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Line the baking sheet (including sides) with parchment paper then set aside
- Cut 1 of the oranges into 2.
- Chop one half of the orange into smaller pieces then add to a blender (yes with the rind). Squeeze the orange juice for the other 1 1/2 oranges into the blender and blend for a minute or until it's almost pureed.
- Using a hand mixer in a bowl, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy then add the eggs. Continue mixing until light and fluffy.
- Add sour cream, vanilla, and milk and mix well
- Sift the flour and the baking powder into the butter cream mixture bowl
- Add the orange mixture and combine well then transfer to the prepared baking tin
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Let cool for 10 minutes .
- While cooling, prepare the glaze by combining the ingredients into a pot then simmering for a few minutes until it thickens (syrup ish)
- Spoon and brush over the top of the cake. Optional: you can use a toothpick to poke all over the cake prior to brushing the syrup for an even more citrusy flavour
- Allow to cool before serving. This is me allowing it to cool 5 minutes in 🙁